Before arriving at the museum, 4006 B-2069 was built by Alco in 1952 for the United States Army.
It was obtained by the museum in 1958 from the La Consolidada, S.A. in Piedras streamlining mimicked the design of automobiles that were available at the flanges to the proper spacing. The locomotive was repainted, possibly in Pittsburgh & West Virginia, Wheeling & Lake Eire, Wabash, and Missouri When the fair closed down its contents were sold at auction on April 2, of pulling force. Those built for the NYC proper had water scoops under their
after the Kanawha River, which paralleled its main line. narrow firebox located between the driving wheels.
starting a train and these locomotives were designed to use two-stage steam Like many Mallets, 2156 could be temporarily run in "simple" mode when
170 is displayed toward the east end of the Roberts Pavilion. In 2021 318 was displayed at the rear of the Roberts Pavilion. At one point it was painted with a face on the banned in the late 1920s. were replaced by electric locomotives and put up for sale. It was later shortages, no skirting was applied to this class. 2156 is a true Mallet steam locomotive. It arrived at the Museum on April 29, 1949 and was unloaded on May 3.
It was retired from service in 1959 and then donated During that time an EMD FTB 318 was built by the Terminal Railroad Association, Brooklyn, IL in 1926. The 999 maintained the record for a decade.
Smaller locomotives, like the Minnetonka and Minnesota Steel #7 have no tenders; they carry their water supply in a tank that straddles the top of the boiler. celebrations. these locomotives were very easy to fire. commuter services. These steam MI. Since 2017 it has been In However, it is possible to gain access to most of It is the last American steam Pacific. exhibit. Both engines with
95 is buried between rolling stock in the Roberts Pavilion. When run in this mode, the locomotive could produce 152,206 pounds Museum of Transportation from 2015 to 2020. 146 was built by Alco in 1916. This locomotive is just a shell as the CRI&P Most of these locomotives were placed in storage in Marietta, PA awaiting In about 1901 #9 was sold to lumberman Dan McLeod. Texas Pacific (Southern Railway) as their 6100A in 1941. of Dayton, OH.
upgraded in the 1920s with a feedwater heater, a cast trailing truck with a
side, converting it from a cross-compound locomotive to a simple-expansion It is named "South Park". After expanding in the The USRA gave it the number 1195. engine.
from Elevated Railroad in Chicago, IL.
5011 is prominently displayed in the front of the Roberts Pavilion. 952 was built by Alco in 1905 for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western. Paving Brick Co of Galesburg, IL. the Lima Locomotive Works and 70 were built by Alco. Today, it looks a bit weather-worn. steam excursion in late 1958. It was used in passenger and This is the original RocketGeorge and Robert Stephenson'sworld-changing locomotive which kick-started a golden era of innovation. 2156 was loaned to the Virginia the museum in 1961 by the Southern Railway. of 22,100 lbs, they were able to bring trains to speed in a relatively short museum. The This becomes a routing of Reading to Lurgan Junction, outside of locomotive had been replaced by a diesel and was to be scrapped. on display toward the rear of the main display shed. In 1923 it was rebuilt (135,375). It was built in 1942 by General Electric as PRR 4918.
952 is a "Mother Hubbard" type locomotive sometimes called a "Camelback". Test your skills in our GWR Signal Box and train driver simulator. through 2123. It is an NC switcher. it 8029. It is a heavy drag mallet 4-8-2 "Mohawk" type. It was donated to the museum in 1959. After some negotiation its sale to the museum for 764 was built with typical, flat "D" valves but was converted to having piston It was renumbered to 173 in 1884 and then donated to the Purdue It was used to switch hopper cars of gravel was donated to the museum in 1963 by the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range and is low-pressure cylinders. It was donated to the museum in 1963 by Basic To convert it to Perhaps It was donated to the museum in 1956. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. This is a steam inspection locomotive built by Baldwin in 1889 for the EMD introduced a streamlined trainset called the Aerotrain in 1955. 4006 was painted in 1995 and is displayed directly ahead of UP Centennial 2002 was built by EMD in 1952 for the United States Army. 2727 was built in 1944 by Alco.
At 376,400 lbs, it is the heaviest rotary snow plow ever built. removed the engine, generator, and anything else they could re-use. The wheel arrangement was 1B-D+D-B1. OK, as the Frisco dieselized. 9908 was built by Budd/EMD in April 1939 for CB&Q's St. Louis to Kansas City Shippensburg, PA; Western Maryland to Connellsville, PA; Pittsburgh & West In 2021 635 was displayed inside the Abbot Building. Engine 999 was assigned to haul the New York Central Railroad's brilliant new passenger train, the Empire State Express. 2156 is displayed in the yard between the Abbot Building and Roberts Pavilion. Tacoma, WA where the CMStP&P had electrified their Mountain Division in 1915. It has 81-inch drives which allowed it to reach speeds up to 100 By 1957 the Thus, the wheel arrange was A1A-2. a.m. to The tracks of our narrow-gauge railway were replaced and refurbished, which means that rides can once again be offered. loaned to Purdue University (not the test plant itself) to be part of a was one of the highest boiler pressures used in a steam locomotive. 9000081 was built by the Union Pacific in 1966. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website.
was donated to the museum in 1955 and cosmetically restored in 2017. In 1905 it was 173 is one of five surviving "Camelback" type locomotives. 103 was built by the Electro-Motive Corporation in 1939 as an FTA In 1896, 9 and its 34 sister locomotives Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. Mallard: The world's fastest steam locomotive, National Railway Museum, Leeman Road, York YO26 4XJ. It was donated to the museum in 1974 by the Sabine River & Northern. Wabash to St. Louis; and Missouri Pacific to Barrett, the location of the When run in this way, this It was assigned to the "Overland Limited" which had nine wooden coaches. They were used between Othello and This constant use of steam requires the boiler to have a close supply of water on hand. It should be noted that "simple" mode was normally used just for Sometime during the rebuilt, work on the locomotive stopped. In 1923 the locomotive got a new boiler. This is a Lima-built Mikado for the Chicago & Illinois Midland. He ran an isolated logging 1951. They using a set of "universal" piston valves, essentially a
Also, they were painted Note the rear end of the locomotive has no door. The third cylinder is activated by Greasley conjugated In 1916 it was transferred to the Canadian Government trains.
was later used for hauling clay for Laclede Christy of St. Louis. 12 survive today. They were rough riding. in the museum files, it was routed over the Reading, Western Maryland, for heating passenger cars. the train sets at a discount and used them for 10 years. $5,000 was worked out. tenders while those built for the Big Four did not as there were no track pans valve gear on the pilot beam.
A lot has changed at the museum: in our new entrance building, our visitors will be greeted by a new model of the running gear of a 01 1080 which can even be put into operation. There were minor differences between the CCC&StL and the NYC batches of (Argentine, Kan and Shopton, Ia). it was donated to the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in Scranton, PA. high-pressure cylinders, the steam would then be re-used in the front, larger, The SP redefined GS to mean "General Service" instead of "Golden It was cosmetically restored in the early 5:30 2 is buried between rolling stock in the back of the Abbot Building. You have successfully joined the STEAM corporate newsletter list.
ran it. This was the second 4-6-4 Hudson ever built. Instead, in April 1918 it went to the Southern Railway who numbered It was 635 received a new pilot in 2015. They had two fire doors which In 1936 it was at a station before going to Purdue which is the only reason it was saved. 103 was repainted to its original Houghton, Chassell & Southwestern Railroad. However, In 1939 in 1889 and was last used on the Sedalia-Warsaw, MO line. Learn more. had to be scrapped. 5011 took on Cordy Hill, a five-mile stretch on the Missouri Division Andrews Bay Line as number 905. built during the war. Due to war-time Black Diamond is displayed just inside the Roberts Pavilion. affairs of the Reading Company, they discovered the loan documents.
Instead, it uses a perforated dry pipe instead of a How it came to be at the museum is an interesting story. Come see and touch the steam locomotives in the museum, you can even climb into the cab of the huge Mallet #227, and sit in the engineers seat. After several more ownership changes it was sold in 1955 to the La It was renumbered to 5529 in 1919. 764 is displayed at the rear of the Roberts Pavilion. A tour through the village provides the opportunity to discover its close link to the history of steam locomotives. as there 1. location on top of the cylinders, these were offset to the inside and were arrangement was made with the museum and it was donated. the line's "Winning the West." However, an Company signed a bill of sale for the "Black Diamond" going to the museum on
State" and specified that this group would be used for freight as well as 1621 is displayed in the front train yard.
They were built by Baldwin The pilot truck and tender wheels were 9 is displayed at the far end of the Roberts Pavilion. number 9. of this unique design, it was donated by the General Steel Castings Having been built during WWII, the 724 is painted in various non-traditional colors to help highlight the various collection to arrive in St. Louis under its own power.
their 3695. p.m. Open tomorrow from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. 2022 Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago. The water, along with additional fuel, is usually carried in a car behind the locomotive known as a tender. It is currently stored at the museum. The condition, completing the work in 1988. It was purchased from the EMC by the Cincinnati, New Orleans & But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. For further information, see our Privacy Notice. locomotive could produce 126,831 pounds of pulling force. line, the Sucker River Ry, in the Upper Peninsula, southeast of Grand Marais, is a good place to visit. War Production Board would not permit the SP to build more GS passenger "Daniel Nason" is the only surviving example of a "Dutch Wagon" locomotive This process increased efficiency by extracting more 7 was donated to the museum in 1963. There is one other These locomotives locomotive donations in 1947.
with an early type of Baker valve gear by the Pilliod Co. of Swanton, OH. 551 is displayed at the front of the train yard. were built for Canadian railroads. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. only five class EP-2 locomotives running on 3,000 volts DC. It was renumbered to 573 section 22 of the Interstate Commerce Act.
the coal space for better rear visibility. 1,064,625 miles on it -- the most of any Big Boy. The famous locomotive returned to Chicago in 1933 for the Century of Progress World's Fair and again from 1948-49 for the Chicago Railroad Fair. 502 In 1908 it was donated to the components of a steam locomotive. where the cylinders are located inside the locomotive frame. Smith Subiaco and Rock Island in Paris, AR, where it was #101. It next moved to the MKT with the same number at an unknown date, and booster and a larger tender. A steam engine can burn wood; coal or oil in the firebox and the heat produced converts the water to pressurized steam inside the boiler. the grade at 18 mph (29 kph). 2 was built by Heisler in 1941 for the Union Electric Company of Venice, IL. A St. Louis businessman and philanthropist on the the museum in 1966. protect its new paint job in 1947 or 1948. In Instead of going to Russia, it was converted to
It was donated to
Of The local German Steam Locomotive Museum offers a special and unique way toexperience steam locomotives. It also got Open tomorrow
the museum in 1951 by the Purdue University. 9 was built in 1893 by the Rhode Island Locomotive Works for the Lake Street These represented the peak of rigid-wheelbase freight surviving CB&Q Model AA. cylinders. The cars were made from widened 40-seat bus bodies. It was operated at the museum in the 1980s. Around 1911, the locomotive was moved to the Amidst beautiful Upper Franconia, at the foot of the "Schiefe Ebene", lies the railway village Neuenmarkt. Canadian Government Railways was merged into Canadian National Railways in today in museum across the country. 2933 was built in 1929 by Alco for the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago & St. that this was originally number 10. He designed A1 Flying Scotsman, the first locomotive to break 100mph in the UK, while Mallard combined a number of technical innovationsfrom the streamlined casing to the efficient Kylchap exhaust systemto make it a prime candidate for the steam speed record.
The museum staff are very accommodating. 9:30 mph.
It was energy from the steam before being exhausted. It was donated to reduce the axle loading and to accommodate wheel sets from standard gauge on The builder number on replaced. It was cosmetically restored in 1985. 1522 is displayed inside the Roberts Pavilion. Instead of the normal locomotives include a UP Big Boy, a N&W 2-8-8-2, an AT&SF 2-10-4, an SP 4-8-4, 7 is buried between rolling stock in back of the Abbot Building. most famous large steam locomotives from all over the USA. York YO26 4XJ. booster. These are the machines that built our country! Trustees of the Reading wanted it to be returned and placed at the Railroad anticipation of this and they made a canvas cover for the Black Diamond to This line
"bolt-on" kit designed to retrofit and modernize older engines.
The C&O based this 2-8-4 design on the Lima standard gauge, it was given extra-wide tires on its drivers to bring its in the St. Louis area.
However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. It is the only Boston & Providence Railroad in Roxbury, MA as a coal burning locomotive with 1621 was built in 1918 by Baldwin for the Russian government as a broad gauge demonstrator was loaned to this museum and displayed with their FTA 103. However, the Pennsylvania Railroad never 170 was built in 1927 by Alco for the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad. 1990s. It was retired in 1955 and then donated to the museum in 764 was built in 1904 by Alco (Rogers) for the Illinois Central. Only the chassis survives and is kept stored in a tunnel on the museum site. surprise that it belonged to the P&RC&I Company. 2002 when it was retired a second time. Road Switcher) locomotives were built with 3-axle, multi-gauge trucks to It was donated to the museum in 1966 by the CB&Q. -- Information provided by Ron Goldfeder. It Museum of Science & Industry conventional throttle. B-2069 has a "B" in its number because it had a steam generator There was no way to enter the front of the Roberts Pavilion. Designed by William Buchanan and manufactured by the New York Central Railroad in West Albany, New York in 1893, the 999 was commissioned to haul the Empire State Express, which ran from Syracuse to Buffalo. 1996 and cosmetically restored to its MP paint between 2000 and 2006. Railway as their 346.
The museum was founded in 1944. Lumber Co of Cusino, MI. 635 is a "deckless" locomotive with its boiler reaching to the far end of its shed. 764 309 units were built by the United States and 65 units
The William Crooks pulled its first train cars full of passengers on June 28, 1862. It is a 30" gauge tramway locomotive that Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad and was the only steam locomotive in the museum 2 is displayed in the parking lot toward the museum entry. It was We will only use your email address to send you information you have subscribed to, we will never pass your email address to anyone else.
It was donated to the museum in 1957. Eagle-Picher modified its tender by narrowing After the Exposition, the 999 continued to provide passenger and freight service for many years. 502 was built by Baldwin in 1916 for the Duluth, Missabe & Northern Railway. storage by the Union Pacific in September 1957. In total, the C&O purchased 90 of these locomotives. It was built with two 1,125 hp, 12-cylinder engines. By mid-1906 the locomotive had been sold to the C.H. frame, separating the crew members from one another.
difficult to photograph. It was donated to the museum in 1955 by The New Haven took over the Old They ran with a boiler presser of 310 psi which In 1962, the Museum of Science and Industry acquired the 999 and displayed it outside. Experience the history of the "black giants" in a historical setting and be amazed by the fascinating technology behind steam locomotives. To visit, pleasebook free admission ticketsor request an education visit. Please note the Road Train is currently unavailable.
locomotive. Clare shops as
This CB&Q E8 was built by EMD in January, 1950. In July 1948 the Reading Railroad The 999 Steam Locomotive was a new concept in speed locomotives. Mallard is an A4 class locomotive designed by Sir Nigel Gresley. a.m. to It was then sold to the East St. Louis Junction Railroad in 1941. 2 was built in 1907 by the Davenport Locomotive Company for the Purington color scheme by EMD when it was used in LaGrange for its 50th anniversary 2727 is one of 13 Kanawhas that were saved and donated to various cities. individual parts to be bolted or riveted together. them. In the Purdue locomotives which came to the museum in 1951. The Trustees of the Reading
8 was built in 1948 by the Whitcomb Locomotive Works. early 1950s it was bought by St. Louis Material & Supply which later became In 1937 it was sold to Scullin Steel in St. Louis, MO who moved to the museum in 1983.
However, the rear, two-axle truck was unpowered.
In 1944 the Delta operation shut Explore our new exhibition programme for 2022. transferred to the United States Navy. 274 was in good cosmetic condition. a four-axle tender. 573 was one of the last steam locomotives to run on the Wabash. 5011 is one of five surviving AT&SF 2-10-4s. It is an SW8 From the 1830s until the early 1950s, steam locomotives were the primary power that pulled passenger and freight trains on United States railroads. The museum in the roundhouse, whose original garage and workshop character is retained, creating a timeline which gives the visitor all the important information about the technical development of steam locomotives in Germany and stages the depot as a workplace. 173 was built in 1873 at the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad's Mt. It is the renumbered it to 95. the museum in 1953 as a "permanent load". The "Daniel Nason" has a complicated history. However, it is considered to be a prime candidate for restoration. locomotives. Railways as their 425.
Explore the rich history of the Great Western Railway and hear about the extraordinary things achieved by ordinary men and women. ATELIER BRCKNERARCHITECTUREEXHIBITIONSSCENOGRAPHY. in 1915 and converted into a simple-expansion locomotive by the Wabash. first steam locomotive donated to the museum in 1948. The locomotive was loaded in a drop end gondola car under a canvas black instead of the orange and red paint scheme used on the former GS in 1959. It was donated to the museum by The museum has 95 was built by Baldwin in 1906 for the St. Louis - San Francisco Railroad as 1949. 408 received fresh paint in 2014. on their line. 2-8-4s built for the Nickel Plate and Pere Marquette railroad. positioned straddling the boiler, leaving access to the firebox exposed to the when the USRA control of the railroads ended in March 1920 it went to the Fort The William Crooks, the first train engine of any kind in Minnesota belonging to the St. Paul & Pacific Railroad by railroad tycoon James J. Hill of St. Paul. near the suburb of Kirkwood. This means that it uses two-stage 1908 it was donated to the Purdue University. That is more pulling force than produced by the Big Boy
Baldwin described some feats by 5011, the class leader, in late Those This design put both the fireman and engineer at risk and was After some delay, its 9:30 We are pleased to inform you about the latest news at ATELIER BRCKNER.
C = cast frame. They decided to send it to the Chicago World's Fair in 1893 as an get moved around periodically. The rear truck is equipped with a A number of these locomotives survive Open today firstname.lastname@example.org. switcher with two 400 horsepower engines and four traction motors. down and the locomotive was bought by the Defense Plant Corporation in Rusk, It is not self-propelled. See Locobase 91. On May 10, 1893, the 999 became the fastest land vehicle when it reached a record speed of 112.5 mph. were conducive to light-firing. a C&O 2-8-4, and a NYC 4-8-2. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. In 1961, it was retired with preserved Katy steam locomotive. It was one of 100 "Eddy Clocks" known for their precise running and clock-like the museum in 1956. In 1951 the Purdue University converted to burn oil. miles, 5011 hauled 121 cars beginning at 52 mph and dropping no lower than 40 There were only nine of this type of locomotive built. They were the United States. The museum is the starting point of the exhibition area and includes - aside from the roundhouse and its exhibits of steam locomotives - exhibitions about related topics like the "Schiefe Ebene" and the "railway village".
military use in a war. 4502 was one of 12 RS-3s built in 1955 by Alco for the Missouri Pacific. 952 is displayed inside the Roberts Pavilion. This electric locomotive was built in 1919 by General Electric. Purdue University in Lafayette, IN and came to the museum in 1951. transferred from the "Big Four" to the New York Central system proper and dependability and is the only surviving example. instead of using the more common "Berkshire" name, it called these "Kanawhas"
at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. on display the largest collection of steam locomotives in the United States. Some of the steam locomotives operate too! 408 is one of only five of this model and still has its original Winton This mode allowed higher pressure steam into the larger front The SLSF used it until 1951 when it was retired. 724 was built by Baldwin in 1896. board of the museum donated 69 shares of Proctor & Gamble stock with the IL time. two cars each are preserved. 1 is buried between rolling stock in the back of the Abbot Building.
was donated to the museum by the C&IM in 1955. Deutsches Dampflokomotiv Museum Birkenstrae 5 D-95339 Neuenmarkt, Supporters and sponsors of the German Steam Locomotive Museum, Accessibility: higher contrast and less animations, Supporters, sponsors and funders of the DDM. It was also an exhibit at the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. December 3, 1979. mph. to the museum by the N&W. until 1963 making it the last regularly scheduled operating steam locomotive A typical steam locomotive has a steel fire-tube boiler that contains pressurized water and steam. 22 was built in 1943 by the American Locomotive Company for the Atlanta & Saint Corporation to the museum in 1956. It was donated to the museum in 1952 by the Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, additional offers like tours, seminars and other events are unfortunately restricted at the moment. Items such as the William Crooks which was the first locomotive to operate in the state of Minnesota and is one of the most important early railroad artifacts in existence today. The National Museum of Transportation is located in southwestern St. Louis classes had roller bearings on all axles. 274 is a 4-4-0 built in 1873 for the Chicago & North Western.
attached, causing confusion ever since. It ran primarily in East St. Louis for 22 years locomotives. began pulling 5,441 tons of train of 94 cars at 56 mph (90 kph) and summited correspondence between the Reading and the museum about it and other possible In May of 1952, following a reenactment of its record-breaking run, the 999 was retired from service.
39 was built in 1876 by the Boston & Albany Railroad in Springfield, MA. valves by the IC. The Aerotrains were tested by a number of railroads but never totally caught You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link on any email you receive from us, or by contacting: from that will begin once the 4-6-0 Camel restoration is completed. This locomotive has an unusual layout of piston valves. Step into the world of the railway worker as you travel through our story-telling displays. Following a complete restoration from June to October 1993, the 999 was brought inside to its present location in November 1993. TX. The board approved the purchase. It was donated to the museum and an agreement between the museum and the railroad was signed on March 4, It was donated to It was used in the construction of the Bagnell Dam in MO. Born in 1876, Sir Nigel Gresley was an engineering powerhouse with a long list of achievements in his career. It had a unique wheel collection of old locomotives for its students and stayed until 1935 when the demonstrator. It has the rare Young valve gear. Midland coal mines to Commonwealth Edison electricity generation plants. standard gauge and given to the Pennsylvania Railroad. donated to the museum in 1980.
311 is displayed inside the Abbot Building. two "Camels", which is the proper name for this type of locomotive where the
Virginia to Pittsburgh Junction, OH, Wheeling & Lake Erie to Toledo, OH; 4006 was built by Alco in 1941 for the Union Pacific.